Airport Operations Practicum (3 days)
Brainseed Global Aviation Services
and The MITRE Corporation are
partnering to provide an airport
operations practicum created
specifically for airport professionals.
The first two days of the 2 1/2-day
program will address the key
topical areas in classroom
sessions. The third day will
feature an overview of FAA Part
139 regulations, a mock airfield
inspection at Washington Dulles
International Airport, and a review
and wrap up of the practicum.
The Operations Practicum agenda will cover the key areas under Title. 14 Part 139, including the general requirements of the Airport Certification Manual as well as:
- Airport familiarization, including airport markings, lighting, and sign systems
- Procedures for access to, and operation in, movement and safety areas
- Airport communications, including radio communications between the air traffic control tower and personnel, use of the common traffic advisory frequency if there is no air traffic control tower or the tower is not in operation, and procedures for reporting unsafe airport conditions.
- Duties required under the Airport Certification Manual.
- Duties for airport operators regarding aircraft rescue and fire fighting, hazardous materials, airports self-inspection, wildlife hazard management, and airport condition reporting.
Primary Course Instructor
Ben Castellano, MBA, retired from the Federal Aviation Administration after 34 years with the agency. His last position before retirement was the National Resource Expert for Airport Safety and Certification. He was actively involved in airport certification and safety since 1990 when he became the Airport Certification and Compliance Branch Manager. There he oversaw the administration of the airport certification program (14 CFR Part 139). In 2001 until 2007, he became the Acting Manager of the Airport Safety and Operations Division. During the time in these positions, Mr. Castellano was responsible for the congressionally mandated revision to the airport certification program, including a complete rewrite of Part 139.
MITRE Aviation Institute (MAI), McLean, VA
The MITRE Corporation
7515 Colshire Drive
McLean, VA 22102
- SMS Principles Course - USD$625 per person.
- SMS Principles Course - USD$500 per person.